Friday, June 22, 2012

DIFY

Good Morning Crafters! It's Friday and either you are excited because you can craft more in the next two days, or you are closing it up and shutting it down for the weekend like me.  Either way you schedule your time, crafting finds it's way into your week somehow and the weeks it doesn't you probably wish it had.  Sometimes we get stuck in a rut.  It happens to us all.  Here are some suggestions to clear the cobwebs and get the creative, craft, gears turning.


One of my favorite things is to do an image search.  When I say that people say "oh you like ________" and I won't mention the rest,(a site I don't care for) no I like to start from my favorite search engine and type in a word, and choose images instead of text.  You will love what turns up.  See I here,  I typed "birds" - then selected "images" and got page after page of beautiful bird.
This particular bird inspires a great color pallet for me.  After that I could just hold on to this image as a reminder or I could take it over to a "color pallet generator" web site (search for one and you'll get tons).  You just give it a photo and poof - color names!


If colors come easily for you and your problem is what to bedazzle next then take inventory of what you need at home.  Making a useful craft is what my goal is most of the time.  Sure - pretty things are fun, but something tells me that if you've been crafting for any amount of time then you made just about anything you can out of your favorite medium and it is beautiful. But don't let that stop you.  I wasn't really into crafting for a long time (crazy I know).  I had tried for years to find some success in making jewelry.  I was not successful.   This lead me into a huge rut, but one day I came home to no carpet and beautiful hardwood floors.  I suddenly needed a rug and we had just spent our money on the floors, rugs would have to wait.  One day with my cold, bear, feet I decided to research how a rug is made.  I wondered if there was anyway I could make one myself.  I searched rug making and holy cow, there are so many ways to make a rug, you just have to pick which one you like best.  Necessity being the mother of invention, I ended up being so inspired by textiles that I no longer make jewelry and now I am fiber artist.  I'm not saying you will abandon what you love now, I still love making jewelry; but so do a lot of people and a lot better than me.  So I decided to leave it to who do it best.  Just don't be afraid to branch out and see where it takes you?  


Enjoy your crafts, but don't be afraid to get inspired.  Try something new.  And by all means don't forget that doing it yourself (DIY) is just as important as doing it for yourself (DIFY). Craft On!

No comments:

Post a Comment