Friday, September 14, 2012

Needlepoint part Three

Okay now that we all have mastered the Basket Weave Stitch, we can move on to creating a pattern for our baskets.  There are a few things I like to consider when I make anything and making a basket will be no different.  There are two main design concepts that are important to consider when designing anything and they are FORM & FUNCTION.
One of the first things I like to consider is, how will this item, and in our case this basket, be used?  Function - My sister will be using it on top of her refrigerator to hold bread and chips.  So it can be larger in size and since bread and chips are light then it doesn't necessarily need to be super duper sturdy.
Evaluating how an item will be used and thinking of it's use day in and day out will allow you to choose the right materials.  Choosing light weight materials for a heavy duty purpose will lead to an item that just doesn't last.  Choosing heavy duty materials when it's function is lighter weight will result in a loss of form - to bulky.  In the end you have wasted materials. Wasted materials means more money spent, and one of the main reasons we all DIY is to save a little cash? Right?
So now that we have evaluated the basket's function, let's talk form.  Form can be described as the visible shape or configuration of something.  If we look back at the function then form is basically decided for us.  It will be used on top of a refrigerator - rectangular, and will hold light, but bulky items (chips and bread).  So we will have a rectangular basket that can be made from lighter weight materials, like Plastic Canvas, needlepointed with knitting yarn.
Now you know how and why I chose the materials and shape I did for the basket so you can decide what  suits your needs best.
As far as a pattern, I chose to alternate panels of basket weave, forwards and backwards. I did this because as I mentioned in part 2, I think it is just as beautiful either way.  The colors I chose because they match my sister's kitchen.  When I lay out a pattern mostly I rely on math.  I measure and divide evenly, and honestly do it again and again until I am pleased with the outcome.  I have no shortcuts to offer you in this matter.  I believe I come up with pleasing patterns and designs but it comes from hard work and sometimes starting over, and over.  It doesn't pour out of me. It is because of this that I understand why needlepoint kits in particular are a bit pricey.  Not only are the materials sometimes expensive, but who ever designed them worked hard to make them the way they are.
Once your pattern is laid out how you want it, then you can begin needlepointing your panels.  In my case I have 5 panels to work with. One for each side and a bottom.  Once your panels are complete, you can simply whip stitch them together.  Then your basket is done.
Now, if I am an honest blogger, I have to admit my basket isn't complete yet.  So I have included today photos of mine in progress, to demonstrate the joining of my panels.  When it is done I will update with more photos, but with our Week in Needlepoint coming to a close, I wanted to wrap things up as best as I could.  I know it was a lot of information, but thanks for sticking with me and good luck with your basket.
View from the corner

view looking up through the bottom

view of the corner, from the inside

view of the corner, from the outside

No comments:

Post a Comment